As our 10-hour smoked Pit Beans are the most popular BBQ side on the menu at Red’s, we figured you’d like an easy-peasy home version using Red’s new sauces and rubs you could easily knock out for the family. Here goes.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
1 bottle Red’s Kansas City BBQ Sauce
1 packet Red’s Pork Rib Barbecue Rub
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1tbsp rapeseed oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 415g cans baked beans, 2 cans drained of tomato sauce
100g brown sugar
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp molasses or black treacle
200g chopped, cooked pork shoulder, pork belly or beef brisket
6 slices crispy smoked streaky bacon, broken up by hand in chunks
1. Preheat oven to 135°C/275°F
2. In a large, ovenproof pot, cook the onion in the oil over a medium heat.
3. Once the onion becomes translucent, add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and mix well.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes stirring regularly and then transfer to the oven and continue cooking uncovered for an further 1.5 hours, stirring every 10 minutes.
5. Serve alongside some smoked baby back ribs, covered in sour cream and crispy onions, as a topper to some hot dogs or simply on grilled, thick slices of white toast. If you are also unafraid of alcoholic sides, then add 100ml bourbon at stage 4 above to introduce a boozy note.
Remember, you can get the rubs and sauces you know and love from your church of worship at Asda.